Questions about Status Map

Cook, Garry Garry.Cook at arcadis-us.com
Thu Apr 26 16:44:05 CEST 2007

[mailto:nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Frost,
Mark {PBG}
>Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 8:31 AM
>To: Jim Avery; nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Questions about Status Map
>
>OK, so this is starting to make some sense to me.  The reason my status
>map looks like crap is because every host and service I own has the
>nagios server as its parent.

Parent/child relationships are important, and not just to make your
statusmap look pretty. Also keep in mind that once the parent/child
relationships are added to Nagios, your statusmap may not look the way
you expect it to (if p/c relationships are done correctly). The
statusmap represents the network from Nagios' point of view, not as you
might draw it in Visio or some other application.

>So now I'm trying to use traceroute to determine the network topology
>which leads me to my next question.  I've seen the nagios docs that
talk
>about determining host reachability.  It shows distinct routers and
>switches with (presumably) a single IP.  How do people represent
>routers/switches that have different IPs depending on the network their
>on?  I mean, yes, it is technically one physical piece of hardware, but
>it's separate interfaces.  So for example
>
>-------------------
>|  Nagios Server  |
>-------------------
>         | 1.2.3.4
> 1.2.3.1 |
>-----------------
>|    Router     |
>-----------------
> 4.5.6.1 |
>         | 4.5.6.7
>-----------------
>|    Host A     |
>-----------------
>

>Technically, 1.2.3.1 and 4.5.6.1 both are IPs for the same router.  In
>theory, pinging 1.2.3.1 indicates that the box is up.  However, it
>doesn't guarantee that the interface to Host A's network is up.

I try to never use physical interface IPs to refer to devices. This is
what loopback addresses are for. In the case of a switch, it's the
Management VLAN IP. If you can't use a loopback for some reason, you'll
probably want to use the IP closest to Nagios. That way, if the
'outside' interface on a device goes critical, Nagios won't necessarily
report the device as down.

>As I see it you could either ignore one or the other of the interfaces
>"on the way" to Host A, or you could pretend that each IP on the switch
>is a separate host.  So Host A has a parent of 4.5.6.1 which has a
>parent of 1.2.3.1.  I would imagine that this method (multiple host
>definitions for a single router box) is the best way.
>How do most people handle this kind of thing?
>
>thanks
>
>Mark

Thanks,
Garry