check_ssl_cert w/ PKI / X.509 Chain Validation

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Wed Apr 11 16:45:37 CEST 2007

These scripts are great thank you very much to all involved who
contributed (no e-mail address for 'mastrboy'). .  I'm considering
spending some time adding additional functionality:

--

In addition to simply parsing the date and comparing the date/time, I'd
like to test the validity of the X.509 Cert against it's PKI

I'm pretty sure that this can be accomplished by checking the result code
of openssl 's_client' or 'verify'; both permit for -CApath and -CAfile.

For internal PKI, this is pretty straightforward; just specify your
organization's Root CA Cert.

For public cert verification; it gets tricky because you have to take a
certificate store like the Mozilla NSS/NSPR default and convert it into
OpenSSL c_rehash format -- taking ideas on that here.

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/security/nss/lib/ckfw/builtins/certdata.txt

Thoughts?

l8*
 	-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
 	       http://www.spiritual-machines.org/