make install-init

Scott Bye sbye at unifiedgroup.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 10:57:27 CEST 2007

>>> On 11/04/2007 at 10:05, in message
<B25A11A2459AD84BA9B8A4DA3D8155328AD0D8 at CADWELL.fit.local>, "Phil
Costelloe" <philc at foundation-it.com> wrote:
Don Munyak wrote:
> Just tried with Nagios-2.9 ... same error :(
>
> -------------------
> /usr/bin/install -c -m 755 -d -o root -g root /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> install: root: Invalid argument
> *** Error code 67
>
> Stop in /tmp/nagios-2.9.
> -------------------
> So maybe I should elaborate further since this doesn't seem to be
> cut-n-dry.
>
> -The server is FreeBSD-6.2, fully patched and updated # uname -a
> FreeBSD web.pmg.local 6.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue
> Feb 27 22:41:06 UTC 2007

I don't know FreeBSD that well but I'd guess there's no group called
root and that's what's causing the error. Assuming that is the case, I
don't know how you'd fix it programmatically (there's probably an
option
to configure that will do it) but you could manually change the line

INIT_OPTS=-o root -g root

in the Makefile to something more appropriate.

--
Phil Costelloe
Foundation IT, Hermitage Berkshire RG18 9SE

reporting any issue.

Having installed Nagios on a FreeBSD 6.2 server only yesterday, I just
changed that Makefile line to...

INIT_OPTS=-o root -g wheel

This then matches other FreeBSD init scripts as well.

Regards,

Scott

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is