make install-init

Don Munyak don.munyak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 05:37:16 CEST 2007

Just tried with Nagios-2.9 ... same error :(

-------------------
/usr/bin/install -c -m 755 -d -o root -g root /usr/local/etc/rc.d
install: root: Invalid argument
*** Error code 67

Stop in /tmp/nagios-2.9.
-------------------
So maybe I should elaborate further since this doesn't seem to be cut-n-dry.

-The server is FreeBSD-6.2, fully patched and updated
# uname -a
FreeBSD web.pmg.local 6.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue
Feb 27 22:41:06 UTC 2007
root at i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

-I have created a Jailed environment using Ezjail-2.0
-I am trying to install Nagios-2.9 in a jail.
-I had no problem installing any of the other packages/ports either
from pkg_add or make install.
-All done after su to root
-The nagios:nagios was created
-nagcmd added to group
-added www,nagios to nagcmd group
-I downloaded the source into /tmp and extracted

# proz -v http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/nagios/nagios-2.9.tar.gz
# tar xzvf nagios-2.9.tar.gz
# cd nagios-2.9
# mkdir /usr/local/etc/nagios
# chown nagios:nagios /usr/local/etc/nagios
# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/etc/nagios
--with-cgiurl=/nagios/cgi-bin --with-htmurl=/nagios
--with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios
--with-command-group=nagcmd
# make all
# make install
-------------------{..snip..}-------------------
** Main program, CGIs and HTML files installed ***

You can continue with installing Nagios as follows (type 'make'
without any arguments for a list of all possible options):

  make install-init
     - This installs the init script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

  make install-commandmode
     - This installs and configures permissions on the
       directory for holding the external command file

  make install-config
     - This installs *SAMPLE* config files in /usr/local/etc/nagios/etc
       You'll have to modify these sample files before you can
       use Nagios.  Read the HTML documentation for more info
       on doing this.  Pay particular attention to the docs on
       object configuration files, as they determine what/how
       things get monitored!
-------------------{..end-snip...}-------------------

Next, `make install-init` {TROUBLE !!!}
-------------------
# make install-init
/usr/bin/install -c -m 755 -d -o root -g root /usr/local/etc/rc.d
install: root: Invalid argument
*** Error code 67

Stop in /tmp/nagios-2.9.
#
-------------------
# make
Please supply a command line argument (i.e. 'make all').  Other targets are:
   nagios cgis contrib modules
   clean
   install install-base install-cgis install-html install-config
install-init install-commandmode fullinstall
#
-------------------
While not part of the 2.x install, I did see in 3.x the steps to run
- make install-config
- make install-commandmode

Since make install-init failed, I tried install-config, and install-commandmode

# make install-config {No errors}
# make install-commandmode {Again, No errors}

So, I'm back to make install-init ???

- Can I hack a file somehow?
- Can I achieve the same end result another way?
- Is there a fix or trouble shooting I can do ?

Thanks

Don