nrpe stopped working after upgrade

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Mon Apr 9 11:13:43 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 10:08:21AM +0100, Andy Shellam wrote:
> The way NRPE works is:
>
> 1. check_nrpe sends the request to the NRPE server.
> 2. The NRPE server runs the command and captures any output sent to stdout
> 3. The NRPE server sends the captured output back to check_nrpe.

All three works fine.

> The error "No output returned from plugin" usually means that check_nrpe
> contacted the NRPE server OK, but the NRPE server did not return
> anything (i.e. point 2 above failed).

Not in this case as check_nrpe never contacts it (Monitored with tcpdump)

> From experience, I've found the most popular reason is that the plugin
> on the remote side sent it's output to stderr (e.g. an error occurred
> running the plugin,) therefore check_nrpe reports no output being
> received, as it doesn't capture the error output stream.

As mentioned, tcpdump shows it never even sends the request.

> What I'm suggesting is that you try to capture the output of the command
> on the remote side to a file, so you can see what's going on.
> If the command succeeded in running when you've added ">
> /tmp/nrpe-test.txt 2>&1" to the end of the command definition in your
> nrpe config file, you'll get the full output (stdout and stderr) of the
> plugin in /tmp/nrpe-test.txt.  If there was no output, you'd still get
> an empty file.

No point as it's never being run as mentioned in my original post...

> As you're not getting a file created, I'd suggest either NRPE is
> misconfigured, or it couldn't execute the command correctly.
> It also might help to check in /var/log/messages in case it logs a
> problem in there.

NRPE is not misconfigured. In fact NRPE works fine as mentioned in myoriginal post.

Thanks for your suggestions though :)

Regards
Henrik