nrpe stopped working after upgrade

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 11:08:21 CEST 2007

The way NRPE works is:

1. check_nrpe sends the request to the NRPE server.
2. The NRPE server runs the command and captures any output sent to stdout
3. The NRPE server sends the captured output back to check_nrpe.

The error "No output returned from plugin" usually means that check_nrpe
contacted the NRPE server OK, but the NRPE server did not return
anything (i.e. point 2 above failed).

 From experience, I've found the most popular reason is that the plugin
on the remote side sent it's output to stderr (e.g. an error occurred
running the plugin,) therefore check_nrpe reports no output being
received, as it doesn't capture the error output stream.

What I'm suggesting is that you try to capture the output of the command
on the remote side to a file, so you can see what's going on.
If the command succeeded in running when you've added ">
/tmp/nrpe-test.txt 2>&1" to the end of the command definition in your
nrpe config file, you'll get the full output (stdout and stderr) of the
plugin in /tmp/nrpe-test.txt.  If there was no output, you'd still get
an empty file.

As you're not getting a file created, I'd suggest either NRPE is
misconfigured, or it couldn't execute the command correctly.
It also might help to check in /var/log/messages in case it logs a
problem in there.

Andy.