nrpe stopped working after upgrade

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Sun Apr 8 16:12:56 CEST 2007

Hi, a few months back I upgraded Debian from 3.0 to 3.1 on my server. I have since failed to get nrpe working again but (obviously) cannot figure out why.

This is what I have installed:

emil:/usr/lib/backup/nagios/plugins# dpkg -l | grep nagios
ii  nagios-common  1.3-cvs.200504 A host/service/network monitoring and manage
ii  nagios-nrpe-pl 2.0-7          Nagios Remote Plugin Exectutor Plugin
ii  nagios-nrpe-se 2.0-7          Nagios Remote Plugin Exectutor Server
ii  nagios-plugins 1.4-6          Plugins for the nagios network monitoring an
ii  nagios-text    1.3-cvs.200504 A host/service/network monitoring and manage

What I get it Nagios saying "(No output returned from plugin)". I have tried to replace the check_nrpe binary with a script that captures the arguments this is run with and correctly get "-H linux -c check_home" (example). So the executable is run. If I remove the file Nagios noticed as well so that's not the problem.

If I let my shell script return a string like

DISK OK - free space: /home 4767 MB (23%);| /home=15713MB;18431;19455;0;20479

Nagios is immediately happy and turns green but on the other hand if I let my script call the original binary to get the exact same output string, Nagios again says "no output...". All this works fine when run manually...

I'm baffled. Don't know where to look. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Henrik Morsing