detecting which node causing packet loss.

naim abu darwish naim.abu.darwish at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 20:18:43 CEST 2007

Hello,

We have a network of routers,bridges, DSL  and wireless nodes .. the
usual mix. about 700 hosts in total. The idea is to monitor as
accurately as possible all services with as little checks as possible.
Here is what I'm doing::

checking the service on the most remote hosts in each branch, or leaf.
so no need to check parents, so i don't really need to check any of
the intermediate links as long as i can reach the end user. So out of
the 700 hosts, I'm only checking services on 150 servers(PPPoE, NAT,
RADIUS, whatever .. ) , and  some 50 simple check_ping, check_load etc
etc on only important backbone links.

The rest are just means to an end, I set them  as parents, no services
defined  on them, they are just there to show if i cannot reach some
end point, leaf, it shows me who is the blocking host. I only want to
start checking intermediate nodes when the link is bad to some end
node, or leaf, otherwise, i don't want to look at it. That's working
fine, when a host is unreachable.
But when I'm reaching it with high latency, its a different story. To
detect why I am reaching that host with such high latency, What must I
do?

I think, please correct me if I am wrong, add a check_ping service for
every node on the network. Every child must have a check ping
dependent on a check_ping  on the parent. So i must define N service
dependencies dependencies, if i have N parents.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.