Distributed nagios system

Bryan Loniewski brylon at jla.rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 27 21:39:09 CEST 2006

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:11:23 +0200
> From: John Longland <jlongland at grintek.com>
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Distributed nagios system
> To: "'nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net'"
>       <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> Hi all !!
>
> I've had to implement a distributed systemand I have gone through some docs
> I found on sourceforge.
>
> I'll briefly mention what I have done:
>
> slave nagios
> 1. Installed the nsca pack
> 2. put send_nsca.cfg  -> /etc
> 3. modified entry for ocsp_sommand in nagios,cfg
> 4. enabled obesess over services
> 5. enable_notifications set to 0
> 6. Defined a command called submit_check_result in my minimal.cfg
> 7. Written submit_check_result script and placed it in ../libexec
>
> server side:
> 1. Installed nsca pack
> 2. nsca,cfg -> /usr/local/nagios/etc
> 3. active service checks 1 for services checked from main nagios
>      set to 0 for service checked from slave nagios
> 4. externetl commands checks enabled
> 5. passive service checks enabled
> 6. nsca -> /usr/local/nagios/bin
> 7. check existance of  /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
> 8. wrote nsca script in  /etc/xinetd.d
> 9. added entry in /etc/services  called NSCA
> 10. restarted xinetd
>

> Problem.
> When I send info from slave to main nagios by hand, it is sent and
> reported by the main nagios, correctly.
> When I remove /usr/local/nagios/libexec/submit_check_result, I get an error
> indicating that the slave
>    nagios is trying to execute a non-existing script.
> When I re-instate the submit_check_result script, nothing happens. No error
> in any log.
> I do not see any attempt on the network ( tcpdump) that the slave is trying
> to contact the main
> nagios.
> I have also added a little echo statement in the submit_check_result script
> that writes to a file.

A few questions:

What version of nagios are you running?
When you added the echo statement was IT the only thing in the script?
or did you leave the rest of the script intact?
What are the permissions of the directories, files of where your
submit_check_result script is?
Did you try running the script by hand as the user nagios runs under?

PS: Give an example of what your submit_check_result script looks like.