Distributed nagios system

John Longland jlongland at grintek.com
Wed Sep 27 11:11:23 CEST 2006

Hi all !!

I've had to implement a distributed systemand I have gone through some docs
I found on sourceforge.

I'll briefly mention what I have done:

slave nagios
1. Installed the nsca pack
2. put send_nsca.cfg  -> /etc
3. modified entry for ocsp_sommand in nagios,cfg
4. enabled obesess over services
5. enable_notifications set to 0
6. Defined a command called submit_check_result in my minimal.cfg
7. Written submit_check_result script and placed it in ../libexec

server side:
1. Installed nsca pack
2. nsca,cfg -> /usr/local/nagios/etc
3. active service checks 1 for services checked from main nagios
      set to 0 for service checked from slave nagios
4. externetl commands checks enabled
5. passive service checks enabled
6. nsca -> /usr/local/nagios/bin
7. check existance of  /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
8. wrote nsca script in  /etc/xinetd.d
9. added entry in /etc/services  called NSCA
10. restarted xinetd

Problem.
When I send info from slave to main nagios by hand, it is sent and
reported by the main nagios, correctly.
When I remove /usr/local/nagios/libexec/submit_check_result, I get an error
indicating that the slave
    nagios is trying to execute a non-existing script.
When I re-instate the submit_check_result script, nothing happens. No error
in any log.
I do not see any attempt on the network ( tcpdump) that the slave is trying
to contact the main
nagios.
I have also added a little echo statement in the submit_check_result script
that writes to a file.
This way I can see that the script was executed. This does not happen which
means the
submit_check_result script is not executed.

Can someone help , please ??

John