**ePN failed to compile/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_snmp_cisco_memutil: "Globalsymbol "$script" requires explicit package name at (eval 1) line 29

Stanley Hopcroft stanleyhopcroft at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 10:11:01 CEST 2006

Dear Hendro,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On 15/09/06, hendro budianto <he_anton at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thx's Rob,
> for your help, but if i run the command manual is
> working fine.

Exactly, because what is run by ePN is not what you run.

ePN takes the script and turns it into another script in which the
original script is wrapped up as a subroutine (see
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/embeddedperl.html for the gory
details).

This subroutine is compiled only once - compared with every time if a
shell was forked to run Perl - and the resulting Perl byte code
remains in memory as long as Nagios runs (that is why it is such a
memory pig).

Also, when its compiled, the strict pragma is used. This means that
each and every variable must be declared before use by

my $foo = 'bar' ;

> I wonder what wrong with my
> configurations ?

Nothing. This is simply part of the ePN tradeoff: better performance
for pickiness about what is run and lots of memory used.

> After added a new "my $script", the
> other error is occur "Global symbol "$timeout" or the
> other that begining with "$". Should i append the
> variable my $"XXXX" all manual ?

Yes.

To know when you are there without having ePN complain each time

1 add 'use strict' to the plugin

2 correct everything that perl -c plugin complains about

Either that or don't use ePN.

You can not use ePN by

1 changing the command definition (of the plugin) in commands.cfg to
add an explict path to Perl before the plugin path

eg command_line    $USER1$/check_rootport -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -N $HOSTNAME

change to

command_line    /usr/bin/perl $USER1$/check_rootport -H $HOSTADDRESS$
-N $HOSTNAME

This was discussed in the last week in this list.

2 calling the plugin from a shell or C wrapper (much harder).

> Thank you before.
>
> Best regards

Good luck.

Yours sincerely.