A machine behind a modem...

Thibault Genessay tgenessay at aliadis.fr
Wed Sep 6 15:39:47 CEST 2006

>>     *Rodrigo Maceno
>>     Hello,
>>     I have a machine, with a false IP, and with Internet access by a
>>     modem adsl. I would like to know how I get check the disk space, the
>>     total process, for example, of this machine with a real IP (modem)
>>     and a false IP (machine). Could anyone help me?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Rodrigo.
>>
>>     PS: Sorry by my english... :/
Giles Coochey top posted:
> You will need to forward a port of some form (SNMP for instance) from
> the modem to the system.
>
> Check the modems documentation on port forwarding and work out which
> port you want to forward, which will depend on how you want to check
> these services.
>
> If you're forwarding a port you may want to use a check plugin that has
> both encryption and authentication.

You can also configure it the other way around: have your machine tell
your nagios system how well it behaves with passive checks. This is
especially interesting if your dsl modem does not have a static IP
adress. You can schedule the check with cron (linux) or the task
scheduler (windows) and send your results to your Nagios server with
send_nsca (which is part of NC_Net under windows; I don't recall where
it can be found under linux though). Indeed, this means that your Nagios
server is accessible from the outside (that is, behind - or being - a
configurable firewall) so Giles' security recommendations still apply.

--
Thibault GENESSAY
ALIADIS