NPRE Socket Timeout

Peter Roddan proddan at higgs.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 12:21:54 CEST 2006

Hi Everyone,

I'm running Nagios 2.5 on SLES 10 and it seems to be working fine.
I have NRPE (0.8.0.2) running on two Windows 2003 Servers (SP2).
I am using the check filecount script that I downloaded from Nagios
Exchange to check various mail folders to see if there are files in
them.
This seems to work fine, although at least once a day each of the
service checks that use NRPE give me an error "CHECK_NRPE: Socket
timeout after 10 seconds."
After a couple of hours this seems to clear itself, but it's very
annoying. I can also clear it by restarting the NRPE service on the
Windows Server (although the service does appear to be running when the
problem occurs)
Checking the event log on the windows server, I get messages like...

NRPE_NT:  Bad return code for [The check didn't respond within the
timeout period!]: 5

I also get the same message in the NRPE_NT logfile.

I've tried upping the timeout in the nrpe.cfg file (command_timeout=90)
but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.
Finally, there are normall no files in any of these directories when the
checks are run - even when there are files present, there are no more
than 20-30.
It also doesn't seem to occur during a period of high activity on the
servers (e.g. not during the backups...)

Do I need to up a timeout on the nagios server? If so , where.
Any suggestions that anyone has would be great. Alternatively if anyone
has another method for monitoring particular directories for files using
Nagios I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,

Peter.

the system manager.