help needed .. newbie

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Tue Sep 5 10:15:53 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 9/5/2006 9:18 AM, rahul ramasubramanian wrote:
> hi ankush..
> thanks for the help... the nagios service is running now but still i get the
> same error....
> the error message that is being writetn in the logs is
>
> Warning: Return code of 127 for check of service 'PING' on host 'localhost'
> wa
> s out of bounds. Make sure the plugin you're trying to run actually exists.

This is most probably not what you see in the web server error log.

The original problems seems to indicate that you did not set up the web
server correctly. It's described in the manual, but basically you need
to make sure that the nagios cgi-scripts are executed correctly.
Permissions, ownership, selinux and AppArmor are some things to check
first, then make sure the web server setup is thus that these scripts
are actually executed and not simply sent when they are called.

> what does this mean...
> i am using the minimal.cfg file to get nagios up and running first ...

Have you modified the configuration so that it actually uses the plugins
you installed?

Nagios really needs to be setup by you.

> in the command prompt
> services like ./check_ping & ./check_tcp are working fine for the
> localhost......

As which user? Have you checked the paths?

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de