defining domain for check_http for each host

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Sep 3 07:54:28 CEST 2006

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Richard Galvez wrote:

> Right, I understand that, but the issue is that I would have to define a
> check_http then for every host. I have over 100 hosts, and I would like
> to just set it in the host definition for quicker, more logical
> execution.. Is this possible?

You do not want hostchecks. Your users do do not care what piece of iron
holds a particular service. They only care about the services and so is
Nagios. Host checks are a different bal game with Nagios as one may learn
from this list archives.

So you define websites as services. Like:

define service{
        use                             linux-counter-template
        host_name                       gimel.counter.li.org
        service_description             HTTP-counter.li.org
        check_command                   check_http_url!counter.li.org!/index.php
        contact_groups                  linux-counter
        }

define service{
        use                             linux-counter-template
        host_name                       gimel.counter.li.org
        service_description             HTTP-i18n.counter.li.org
        check_command                   check_http_url!i18n.counter.li.org!/index.php
        contact_groups                  linux-counter
        }

define command {
        command_name    check_http_url
        command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $ARG1$ -u $ARG2$
        }

Hugo.

		Don't meddle in the affairs of magicians,
		for they are subtle and quick to anger.