*****SPAM***** failover

subscribe subscribe at aehome.net
Wed Oct 25 23:33:29 CEST 2006

Long ago a guy gave me the following but I never got to try it.  I would
love to hear what actually works.  Maybe a howto

Configuration doc on slave server...

Failover Configuration:

Master Server (10.1.1.3):

Configure NSCA:

            Install Libmcrypt:

                        tar -xzvf libmcrypt-2.5.7.tar.gz

                        cd libmcrypt-2.5.7

                        ./configure

                        make

                        make install

            Update system to find the library:

                        vi /etc/ld.so.conf

                        add the following line:

                                    /usr/local/lib/

                        run ldconfig:

                                    /sbin/ldconfig

tar -xzvf nsca-2.4.tar.gz

cd nsca-2.4

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios --with-nsca-user=nagios
--with-nsca-grp=nagios

            output should be the following:

General Options:

-------------------------

                        NSCA port:  5667

                        NSCA user:  nagios

                        NSCA group: nagios

make all

cp src/nsca /usr/local/nagios/bin/

cp nsca.cfg /usr/local/nagios/etc/

vi /usr/local/nagios/etc/nsca.cfg

            modify the following:

                        allowed_hosts=10.1.1.3

                        password=password

                        decryption_method=2

start the service

            /usr/local/nagios/bin/nsca -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nsca.cfg

Slave Server (10.1.1.4):

Disable the following in nagios.cfg:

            retain_state_information=0

            execute_service_checks=0

            enable_notifications=0

Enable the the following in nagios.cfg:

            check_external_commands=1

            retention_update_interval=30

use_retained_program_state=0

Create enable/disable service checks script:

vi /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/disable_active_service_checks

#!/bin/sh

echocmd="/bin/echo"

CommandFile="/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd"

# get the current date/time in seconds since UNIX epoch

datetime=`date +%s`

# create the command line to add to the command file

cmdline="[$datetime] STOP_EXECUTING_SVC_CHECKS"

# append the command to the end of the command file

`$echocmd $cmdline >> $CommandFile`

write the file

chown nagios:nagios
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/disable_active_service_checks

vi /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/enable_active_service_checks

#!/bin/sh

echocmd="/bin/echo"

CommandFile="/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd"

# get the current date/time in seconds since UNIX epoch

datetime=`date +%s`

# create the command line to add to the command file

cmdline="[$datetime] START_EXECUTING_SVC_CHECKS"

# append the command to the end of the command file

`$echocmd $cmdline >> $CommandFile`

write the file

chown nagios:nagios
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/enable_active_service_checks

Create enable/disable notifications scripts:

vi /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/enable_notifications

#!/bin/sh

echocmd="/bin/echo"

CommandFile="/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd"

# get the current date/time in seconds since UNIX epoch

datetime=`date +%s`

# create the command line to add to the command file

cmdline="[$datetime] ENABLE_NOTIFICATIONS;$datetime"

# append the command to the end of the command file

`$echocmd $cmdline >> $CommandFile`

write the file

chown nagios:nagios
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/enable_notifications

vi /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/disable_notifications

#!/bin/sh

echocmd="/bin/echo"

CommandFile="/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd"

# get the current date/time in seconds since UNIX epoch

datetime=`date +%s`

# create the command line to add to the command file

cmdline="[$datetime] DISABLE_NOTIFICATIONS;$datetime"

# append the command to the end of the command file

`$echocmd $cmdline >> $CommandFile`

write the file

chown nagios:nagios
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/disable_notifications

Create monitoring enable script:

vi /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/check_master_host_enable

#!/bin/sh

RES=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.1.1.3 -c check_nagios_proc`

        STATUS=$?

        if [ $STATUS != 0 ]; then

           sleep 35

RES=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.1.1.3 -c check_nagios_proc`

        STATUS=$?

        if [ $STATUS != 0 ]; then

           echo "Activate Sentinel Local : RES=$RES ; Status=$STATUS"

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/enable_active_service_checks

        sleep 5

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/enable_notifications

   fi

fi

exit

write the file

Setup a cron job to call the above script every 1 min

vi /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/check_master_host_disable

#!/bin/sh

RES=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.1.1.3 -c check_nagios_proc`

        STATUS=$?

        if [ $STATUS != 1 ]; then

           sleep 35

RES=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.1.1.3 -c check_nagios_proc`

        STATUS=$?

        if [ $STATUS != 1 ]; then

           echo "De-activate Sentinel Local : RES=$RES ; Status=$STATUS"

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/disable_active_service_checks

        sleep 5

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/disable_notifications

   fi

fi

exit

write the file

make the files executable:

chmod 755 /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/*

Setup a cron job to call the above script every 1 minute.

  _____