becoming a plugin developer

Alexander Harvey alexh19740110 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 14:51:16 CEST 2006

On 10/25/06, Thomas Sluyter <nagios at kilala.nl> wrote:

> On 25 Oct, 2006, at 14:07, Alexander Harvey wrote:
>
> > I have written a number of plugins, some of which I believe others
> > might
> > find very useful, and I was wondering if anyone can advise me on
> > where I'll
> > find what I need to know about becoming a Nagios plugin developer?
>
> Judging by what you said, you're already one :) Feel free to share
> all your plugins on the Exchange, so all Nagios users can benefit
> from them. That's all there is to it :)
>
> If you want to get involved with the core plugin dev team, speak to
> Ton Voon... See if he needs more hands on his team.

Well I suppose in that sense I am a plugin developer but I was really
considering such things as: guidelines for interfacing with the Nagios host
(i.e. standard plugin syntax?) How much output text is appropriate,
performance considerations, security considerations, style considerations,
documentation, versioning, revision control, licensing, anything else before
unleashing my plugin onto someone else's production systems, etc. Do such
guidelines / conventions exist? As far as becoming a core developer, I don't
think I have the C behind me (like any).:-)

Regards,
Alex