becoming a plugin developer

Alexander Harvey alexh19740110 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 14:45:46 CEST 2006

On 10/25/06, Thomas Sluyter <nagios at kilala.nl> wrote:

> On 25 Oct, 2006, at 14:07, Alexander Harvey wrote:
>
> > I have written a number of plugins, some of which I believe others
> > might
> > find very useful, and I was wondering if anyone can advise me on
> > where I'll
> > find what I need to know about becoming a Nagios plugin developer?
>
> Judging by what you said, you're already one :) Feel free to share
> all your plugins on the Exchange, so all Nagios users can benefit
> from them. That's all there is to it :)
>
> If you want to get involved with the core plugin dev team, speak to
> Ton Voon... See if he needs more hands on his team.

Well I suppose in that sense I am a plugin developer but I was really
considering such things as: guidelines for interfacing with the Nagios host
(i.e. must a plugin return an exit code? How much output text is
appropriate? Performance considerations? Security considerations? Anything
else before unleashing my plugin on someone else's production systems?:-D),
style considerations, documentation, versioning, revision control,
licensing, etc. Do such guidelines / conventions exist? As far as becoming a
core developer, I don't think I have the C behind me.:-)

Regards,
Alex