auto-detecting of new hosts, routers etc...

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sat Oct 21 18:19:39 CEST 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, root root wrote:

> Can Nagios gather information from my network automatically in order
> to add it to hosts.cfg file by itself, not by nagios administrator?

No. There are tools to detect hosts and write updated config files out
there.

But someone installed equipment in your network and it must have passed a
couple of checks before you installed it. Right? Then what is the problem
of adding it to your config as part of these checks?

If someone installed something in your network without your knowledge then
why do you need to monitor it?

The only automatic tool I would use is one that triggers an alert if a new
device was added to the network. So you can go on a search and destroy
mission.

Hugo.

--
	hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org	http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/