auto-detecting of new hosts, routers etc...

root root magic.rooter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 17:35:41 CEST 2006

Can Nagios gather information from my network automatically in order
to add it to hosts.cfg file by itself, not by nagios administrator? I
ask it because I have to solve the next problem in my network: when
some router, server or user computer plugged into network, I must new
about it with the help of Nagios. (Because I can't run between many
rooms in our central office and in our filials in  other cities in
order to know whether new device has appeared and then to add it
manually in hosts.cfg and other configs).  So this system must have
something like intelligence in order to find new equipment in network
and add it to its status map.
I heard that OpenView can do it. I think with the help of SNMP.
Nagios also works with this protocol. So maybe it can do the same? I
think this is very important problem for most network administrators.
Please, answer my question.