Starting up Nagios

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Oct 10 20:12:04 CEST 2006

When I
> try to start nagios it returns an exit 0 (I put a trace in so I could
see)
> but no processes ever start up on the box. I'm also having problems
with

Do you see anything in nagios.log? It's highly unusual that nagios
wouldn't start without logging an error either to console or nagios.log.

> the add-ons. When trying to run the make all on nrpe I get "no rule to
> make target 'all'". I get a similar error when trying to do it on nsca
> "Nothing to be done for 'all'". Could this be part of my problem of it

Did you run ./configure for nrpe before attempting 'make all'? That's
probably your issue there. For nsca it looks like you might have had a
successful compile so attempting a 'make all' again doesn't do anything
since the binaries already exist. You should be able to find them in the
nsca-x-x/src directory.

These issues would not affect your ability to start nagios as they're
independent programs.

> (nagios) not starting up? Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.
> Thanks. Also, all of the docs on the web site deal with a new install,
are
> there any docs for an upgrade? Or does anyone have a procedure for
> upgrading from 1.2 to 2.5? Let me know. Thanks.

You've pretty much done it. Install the new, copy over your existing
configs, modify them as needed to make changes noted in the CHANGELOG
(mostly macro changes but host definitions changed slightly). You may or
may not be using features that changed. Test the config with nagios -v
etc/nagios.cfg and if there are no errors you should be good to go.

--
Marc