Remote Checks

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Thu Nov 23 21:09:19 CET 2006

On 23 Nov, 2006, at 21:00, Hari Sekhon wrote:

> I've looked at nsca but it appears to me that this requires a nagios
> instance to run on every machine. Please correct me if this is not the
> case.

This is not the case :)

You could indeed, as you suggest, create a simple shell script that
is run from cron to schedule the service checks. It ain't nothing
special.

SNMP is very versatile, but it's also very cumbersome to use. It
takes a lot of investigation to figure out all the proper OIDs,
unless you decide to tie normal Nagios plugins to custom OIDs (which
is possible and easy). To read more about the use of plugins and
custom OIDs, read http://www.kilala.nl/Sysadmin/retrieve_custom_snmp.php

If you do not trust NRPE for active checks, you could also run the
checks through SSH.

Me, I like to use as much passive checks as I can cause it puts most
of the scheduling work with the clients, thus freeing up the server(s).

Cheers!

Thomas