Remote Checks

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 23 21:00:09 CET 2006

I know this is a tired subject but I'm now needing to expand beyond my
nagios server and have have check run locally on machines in my
infrastructure to make them tell me things like how much disk space is
left etc...

I've looked at nsca but it appears to me that this requires a nagios
instance to run on every machine. Please correct me if this is not the
case. I guess you could wrap the plugin in another script which is then
cronned to do the check and then send the results via nsca to the nagios
server?

Nrpe take the more active approach but this seems weak from a security
point of view to simply test the sender's ip address. Ip spoofing has
been around for a while as I'm sure everybody here knows...

Then there's net-snmp. I've had a brief look but this is a little
strange and I find it to be a bit complicated considering I'm not used
to using snmp. Also, when I tried it out against stuff I know has snmp
like printers, I couldn't get any info out of them unless I dropped to
v1 even though after reading the docs I would think everything modern
would use the more secure v3....

Could I get some advice/opinions about what I should do since I want to
do this soon.

Thanks

Hari

--