Testing quality (rtt and packet loss) of Internet connection?

Chris Hardie chris at summersault.com
Thu Nov 23 00:09:12 CET 2006

Greetings, all.  I'm in the process of transitioning from Mon to Nagios,
and have a few holes to fill in when it comes to "recreating" our old
configuration.  I was hoping someone could comment on this one:

In our old system, we monitored the health of our connection to the
Internet by checking packet loss and round trip times in ping packets
sent to www.google.com and www.yahoo.com.  Because either site was
liable to have localized, temporary problems, we only triggered an alert
if all of the sites we were pinging were experiencing a warning (which
usually meant there was a problem with our connection, as opposed to one
with theirs).

In Mon, this was done with a config option that said "only consider this
group of hosts to have a problem if ALL of them have a problem."  So
far, I can't find a way to do this in Nagios; I tried it with host
dependencies, creative check plugin setups, etc. and can't seem to do it
reliably/gracefully.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
Chris