nsca/services issue

Mike Carpenter rothschilde2006 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 18:20:21 CET 2006

I have a question about nsca and service checks.  I am running nsca 2.6 and Nagios 2.5.  I have just trying to send a simple test service check to Nagios to see if I can get the state to change
and it isn’t working

  Here is what I am trying to do

  From the remote machine:
  /usr/bin/send_nsca –H ian -d “;” –c /etc/send_nagios.cfg < test

  The file test contains:
  mike;nmbd;2;’ok-just one test’

  I have configured nsca on the Nagios server and the config file contains:

  server_port=5667
  server_address=192.168.1.10
  nsca_user=nagios
  nsca_group=nagios
  debug=0
  command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
  alternate_dump_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nsca.dump
  aggregate_writes=0
  append_to_file=0
  max_packet_age=30
  password=password
  decryption_method=10

  The send_nagios.cfg contains:
  password=password
  encryption_method=10

  My service check is:

  define service{
          host_name               mike
          service_description     syslog-ng
          active_checks_enabled   0
          passive_checks_enabled  1
          check_freshness         0
          is_volatile             1
          max_check_attempts      1
          normal_check_interval   1
          retry_check_interval    1
          check_period            none
          contact_groups          nagios-admins
          check_command           check_dummy!2!Critical
          notification_options    w,c,u
          notification_period     24x7
          notification_interval   120
          }

  The /var/log/messages file shows the following:

  Nov 21 00:09:00 ian nsca[12202]: SERVICE CHECK -> Host Name: 'mike', Service Description: 'nmbd', Return Code: '2', Output: ''ok-just one test''

  Nov 21 00:09:47 ian nagios: EXTERNAL COMMAND: PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;mike;nmbd;2;'ok-just one test'

  It appears that the external command file is getting the check
but the host page just sits there saying that the host hasn’t been checked.  I have tried several different states and still the same result.  I understand that an active check isnt being performed but I would think that because of the above "PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT" line that the nagios.cmd file got the message and the page should be updated with a critical message.

  I read in the docs that the check needs to have the date in front of it
but when I tried that I couldn’t get nsca to expand the variable
I have checked permissions, etc.

  So
where have I messed up?  LOL.

  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro-*Terms