Nagios cluster

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 21 04:47:19 CET 2006

Marc wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > How about this - on server B, have the global notifications enabled
set
> > to no.  Then you add an extra check on server B that tests for
server A
> > being properly up.  This check has an Event Handler that edits the
> > nagios.cfg to set the global notify flag to yes and restart Nagios.
> > Have a similar event handler to do the same in reverse when the
server A
> > reappears.
>
> There are external commands that you can send to the command pipe to
> enable/disable host and service notifications from the eventhandler.
> That's how I'd approach this particular task instead of editing
> nagios.cfg and reloading. Enable/disable_host_notifications,
> enable/disable_svc_notifications.

If it were for a single host I'd agree, but in this case we want to
enable/disable ALL the notifications for ALL hosts and services on the
standby server.  Also, but making the change in the nagios.cfg, we can
preserve any disable flags in the active configuration over changes.

Unless, of course, there exists an external command to change the global
Notifications Enabled flag - but I don't think there is (at least, not
in v1.4 which we run).

On a side thought, you'd also need to enable/disable the global Event
Handler flag,  if you use eventhandlers.  You may even want to have
execture_service_checks disabled on the standby server, in order to
decrease load on your monitored hosts.

Steve

--
Steve Shipway