Nagios as an SLA monitoring tool

Mike M saetaes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 03:49:42 CET 2006

> Earlier Mike had suggested openms.org - I haven't had a chance yet to
> explore this option but will try to do so this weekend.

Kevin, to get you started, here are some good links on OpenNMS'
distributed monitor:

http://opennms.org/index.php/Distributed_Monitor
http://opennms.org/index.php/Remote_Location_Monitoring
http://opennms.org/index.php/Distributed_status_display

As with most open source projects, the documentation for OpenNMS is
fairly weak:  Your best bet if you have problems or questions is to
hop onto the IRC channel, #opennms on freenode.  The guys there are
very friendly and always willing to give a hand.  As I mentioned to
Kevin off-list, for a pretty menial sum, you can hire the OpenNMS guys
for consultation and implementation.  See www.opennms.com for pricing,
etc.

I would encourage other Nagios users looking for something similar to
check out the OpenNMS project if only for this functionality.  I don't
really see it as a competitor to Nagios, although they do have some
common functionality.  OpenNMS' learning curve is much steeper than
Nagios, but if you have a lot of servers (>100) or need this
distrubuted monitoring/correlation, I think it could be worth
investigating.  We definitely need more people working on the
distributed code, but the ultimate goal is to get functionality
similar to, if not better than, that of Keynote, Gomez, and others.

BTW - I'm not involved with OpenNMS in any way other than as a user
and satisfied customer of the OpenNMS group.

Mike