Migrating Nagios 1.x to 2.x

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Nov 17 23:51:15 CET 2006

The changes aren't as scary as they sound and comparing the macro doc
pages between 1.0 and 2.0 makes things easy to see what's changed. There
were a lot of new macros added but as far as changes the ones that
affect most users are going to be --

$OUTPUT$ now becomes either $SERVICEOUTPUT$ or $HOSTOUTPUT$ depending on
the check
$PERFDATA$ now becomes either $SERVICEPERFDATA$ or $HOSTPERFDATA$. This
holds true for other ambiguous macros like $LATENCY$, $EXECUTIONTIME$,
etc which aren't commonly used.
$DATETIME$ becomes $LONGDATETIME$
$STATETYPE$ becomes $SERVICESTATETYPE$ or $HOSTSTATETYPE$

Can you install 2.0 under /usr/local/nagios-2.0 on the same machine?
That will allow you to at least verify your configs are correct with
nagios -v (won't test macros though). Then, if you pass syntax check,
fire it up in tandem with your current installation, with you as the
only contact. That will allow you to verify functionality and check
macros without breaking your current system.

--
Marc