check_mailq plugin via nrpe Error code 78

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Thu Nov 16 08:40:17 CET 2006

Hi,

I do have a problem checking my mailservers mailq from my nagios server.

I checked the message from P. Houseland a few day ago; he had nearly the
same problem. His solution didden't solve my problem.

The servers are both centos 4.4, the nagios software is nagios-2.5-1.el4.rf
nagios-plugins-1.4.4-1.el4.rf
nagios-plugins-nrpe-2.5.1-1.el4.rf

The check_mailq works localy at the mailserver, but "check_nrpe -H mail
-c check_mailq" from the nagios server  fails with this message:

	CRITICAL: Error code 78 returned from /usr/bin/mailq

I added the mailservers nagiosuser to the mailgroup, so he should be
able to read the /var/spool/mqueue, but the error persists.

Any ideas what to look for?

Thanks and best regards

Götz Reinicke
--