Advanced permissions/user properties

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Nov 5 23:35:39 CET 2006

Alex Burger wrote:
> Leave the groups as they are, but modify the host and service
> contact_groups command?  For example:
>  define host{
>           host_name               localhost
>           contact_groups          netops:rw, helpdesk:r
> }
>
> For backwards compatibility, if no permissions are set, the defaults
> would be rw so the following would be the same:
>
> define host{
>           host_name               localhost
>           contact_groups          netops, helpdesk:r
> }
>
> If a user was in both the netops and helpdesk group, the user should
> have rw access.

This is exactly what we need, and the best way I have seen (so far) to
implement it.  In particular it has backwards compatibility and  does
not involve an additional directive.  Much simpler to do it via groups
rather than at a per-user level, and much more maintainable.

This is the way I'd like to see it implemented in the official tree,
maybe with a nagios.cfg option to allow you to set the default to be :rw
or :r (so that once you've fully implemented things you can change
default to be :r, best to default to the lower level)

Steve

--
Steve Shipway
ITSS, University of Auckland