Advanced permissions/user properties

Alex Burger alex_b at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 4 22:07:51 CET 2006

Alex Burger wrote:
> The more I think about it, the more I think we are looking at this the
> wrong way.  With file system or application permissions, we would assign
> a group to a folder/object, and then pick what rights the group would
> have. Why don't we do the same thing with Nagios?
>
> Leave the groups as they are, but modify the host and service
> contact_groups command?  For example:
>
> define host{
>           host_name               localhost
>           contact_groups          netops:rw, helpdesk:r
> }
>
> For backwards compatibility, if no permissions are set, the defaults
> would be rw so the following would be the same:
>
> define host{
>           host_name               localhost
>           contact_groups          netops, helpdesk:r
> }
>
> If a user was in both the netops and helpdesk group, the user should
> have rw access.
>
> This will take a bit more work to implement, but I think it makes more
> sense.  What do you think?
>
> Alex

Attached is a patch for 2.5 that implements what I described above.  It
works on both hosts and services.

The following four lines are are examples of read/write access for
netops and helpdesk:

            contact_groups          netops, helpdesk
            contact_groups          netops, helpdesk:rw
            contact_groups          netops:rw, helpdesk
            contact_groups          netops:rw, helpdesk:rw

The following two lines are are examples of read/write access for netops
and read only (view only) for helpdesk: