utilizing pager/email in single contact

Andrew Cruse andrew at profitability.net
Wed May 24 20:53:07 CEST 2006

Andrew Cruse wrote:
> nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

>>> You *could* write a new notification command.  That would be the
>>> most elegant solution, probably, but a quick-and-dirty "use what's
>>> there" solution would be to create two users -- one for email, one
>>> for paging.
>> Andy,
>>
>> I neglected to say that I do that today, use 2 contacts, one for
>> warning and one for critical.  That just seems to defeat the purpose
>> of having both pager and email in one contact.
>>

> In that case, unless someone else has a nifty idea I think
> you're pretty much stuck with hacking together your own
> notification script(s).  Doesn't seem like it would too
> challenging to parse the content of the alert and determine
> whether it's critical or warning and send a notification
> depending on which it is.  If you do go ahead and do it,
> please consider adding it www.nagiosexchange.org.  I'm sure
> others would find it useful as well.

I hate responding to myself, but one extra bit:

It seems like it would be (more) difficult to decide what to do with
recovery notifications.  Since Nagios treats recoveries the same,
regardless of whether it is recovering from CRITICAL or recovering from
WARNING, you'd wind up getting some recovery pages from WARNING events
and vice versa on your emails.  The only way to get around that as far
as I can imagine would be to have your notification script store the X
most recent events so it can try to pair recoveries with the
corresponding WARNING or CRITICAL notifications and only send the
recovery notices through the appropriate method.

But then that seems like something that would be better handled directly
in Nagios.  Anyone else think it would make sense to have 3 recovery
types?

r (same as it is now)
rw (recovery from WARNING state)
rc (recovery from CRITICAL state)