utilizing pager/email in single contact

Andrew Cruse andrew at profitability.net
Wed May 24 20:43:58 CEST 2006

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> On 5/24/06, Andrew Cruse <andrew at profitability.net> wrote:
>> nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
>>> Good afternoon,
>>>
>>> I am sure I am not seeing the big picture here but I want to have a
>>> single contact and have nagios use the pager for critical/ok and
>>> email for warning/ok messages.  It doesnt appear that the default
>>> notification commands allow for this.
>>>
>>> Do I need to write a new notification command that determines if the
>>> alert is warning, critical, etc. and use the appropriate macro at
>>> that point?
>>
>> You *could* write a new notification command.  That would be the most
>> elegant solution, probably, but a quick-and-dirty "use what's there"
>> solution would be to create two users -- one for email, one for
>> paging.
> Andy,
>
> I neglected to say that I do that today, use 2 contacts, one
> for warning and one for critical.  That just seems to defeat
> the purpose of having both pager and email in one contact.

In that case, unless someone else has a nifty idea I think you're pretty
much stuck with hacking together your own notification script(s).
Doesn't seem like it would too challenging to parse the content of the
alert and determine whether it's critical or warning and send a
notification depending on which it is.  If you do go ahead and do it,
please consider adding it www.nagiosexchange.org.  I'm sure others would
find it useful as well.

Andrew