bug with a cyrillic text in host alias

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Tue May 16 08:25:45 CEST 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Jason Martin wrote:

> On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 10:24:35PM +0400, Danila Kutepkin wrote:
> > But, I can't undestand, why does Nagios send empty (space) symbols
> > instead of cyrillic text in Notification e-mails. For example, I have
> > a host named Host1 and some alias for it in cyrillic (KOI8). Locale of
> > nagios user is KOI8, web-interface show cyr tex correctly too, I can
> > send e-mail with cyr symbols from nagios user shell. But the e-mail,
> > thatis generated by nagios process still bad.
> Nagios pipes notifications to sendmail for sending. As a test,
> construct a text file with the some representitive characters
> and redirect it into sendmail and have it send it to you. I
> suspect that the characters are being lost by sendmail, in which
> case it is your sendmail config that would need modification.

Email headers should be 7bit clean. Using cyrilic characters violates that
and will result in a failer of the MTA. You need to encode such thing
according to the standards before you give it to sendmail (or whatever
other SMTP server).

Hugo.

		Don't meddle in the affairs of magicians,
		for they are subtle and quick to anger.