"Agentless" monitoring with Nagios?

Keller, Steve SKeller at ea.com
Tue May 16 00:34:53 CEST 2006

Hi -

We have a large SiteScope installation (we monitor several thousand
servers with about 20 SiteScope machines) and are considering Nagios as
a replacement.  One of the issues we have is that we cannot, for various
(mostly political) reasons, install an agent on the hosts we monitor.
We have successfully tested agentless monitoring by using Perl plugins
that SSH to the remote host and run a command, parsing the output.
However, we cannot run as many monitors per server as in our SiteScope
installation because of the latency incurred by setting up and breaking
down the SSH connection for EACH monitor.

So my question is, does anyone know of a reasonable approach to
agentless monitoring using Nagios?  We are planning to try SSH4, which
automatically keeps SSH connections open for later use, and forcing
Nagios to run several scripts sequentlially against the same host.  But
this has the problem that a host which is down, or busy, could delay
checking other hosts.

We would like, for many reasons (not just $$$, although that's a
factor), to use Nagios, but having to install twice or three times as
many servers to support it is out of the question.  Any advice
gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Steve Keller  (skeller at ea.com)
Manager, Tools and ESM Group