"Agentless" monitoring with Nagios?

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue May 16 03:16:54 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 15:34 -0700, Keller, Steve wrote:
> Hi –
>

> We have a large SiteScope installation (we monitor several thousand
> servers with about 20 SiteScope machines) and are considering Nagios
> as a replacement.  One of the issues we have is that we cannot, for
> various (mostly political) reasons, install an agent on the hosts we
> monitor.  We have successfully tested agentless monitoring by using
> Perl plugins that SSH to the remote host and run a command, parsing
> the output.  However, we cannot run as many monitors per server as in
> our SiteScope installation because of the latency incurred by setting
> up and breaking down the SSH connection for EACH monitor.
>

> So my question is, does anyone know of a reasonable approach to
> agentless monitoring using Nagios?  We are planning to try SSH4, which
> automatically keeps SSH connections open for later use, and forcing
> Nagios to run several scripts sequentlially against the same host.
> But this has the problem that a host which is down, or busy, could
> delay checking other hosts.
>

> We would like, for many reasons (not just $$$, although that’s a
> factor), to use Nagios, but having to install twice or three times as
> many servers to support it is out of the question.  Any advice
> gratefully accepted.
>

> Thanks,
<snip>
Would it help to run several commands in the ssh tunnel - perhaps even
echoing strings for delimiters in the parsing,e.g.,

ssh user at server "command1;echo 'first command';command2"

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net