Check_load

Tiernan, Michael C. mtiernan at draper.com
Wed May 10 17:49:26 CEST 2006

[...]
> So, does load average: 0.35, 0.47, 0.53, mean there are only 0.53 jobs
> running and waiting over the last 15 minutes ? executing TOP in the
> shell shows me atleast 15 different processes..
Right but are they runnable?
Also, remember, the execution time of these process, on the speedy
processors we have today might be a jiffy or so and will hardly show up
as running but contribute to the overall time that processes have been
on the runnable queue.

> If at the same time, the CPU Usage is 100%, what does this mean ? 0.53
> jobs is consuming 100% of the CPU?
The "runnable" queue (used for load numbers) is defined as the number of
jobs that could run "right now" if a processor was free to run them PLUS
the ones that the processors are running now.

As I remember, the percentage of CPU usage is measured by the amount of
time that a job is not in the "runnable" queue but in the "running"
position (or on a processor).

> It appears, that I am posing questions beyond the context of
> Nagios so I
> will stop here :) appreciate though any more clarifications..
I agree and have to get back to work.

Good luck!