any way to specify source address for server?

Paul Archer parcher at bcm.edu
Wed May 10 02:21:03 CEST 2006

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't thought about the scope of the problem
(ie that each plugin would potentially need to be modified).
I think the scope could be somewhat contained by just modifying
check_nrpe; that's the only plugin that relies on the client allowing a
certain IP address.
Right now, I think I'll just not worry about it too much, and change the
nrpe.conf configuration on the clients when/if we have to.

Paul

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Steve Shipway wrote:

>>> I'd like to give my Nagios server a virtual IP address, so that if we
>>> want to migrate the monitoring service to another machine in the
>>> future, it'll be easy (just setup the new machine and give
>> it the same virtual IP).
>> This is a tricky issue. First of all I must assume you are
>> referring to the actions taken by the various checks. These
>> are in fact regulated by the individual plugins so there is
>> not a single way to solve this.
>
> I understand what you're trying to achieve - just set up a single ACL on
> your routers (for example) and have the Nagios service always query from
> this (virtual) IP, wherever it actually lives.
>
> For reasons stated before, this is almost impossible.  The only way I can
> think of doing it is to set up a route definition on the Nagios host
> directing all traffic via the virtual IP, although that is rather messy.
>
> Here, we have Nagios on a virtual IP moving between two linux-ha hosts.
> NSCA listens to a port on the virtual IP.  However, Nagios will query from
> the physical IP of whichever host it is on, so we have had to set up both
> physical IPs in the ACLs.
>
> I suppose you could set up a special subnet for your monitoring servers, and
> set your ACLs to allow that subnet.  Or, if only certain checks (SNMP?)
> require this source IP, you might be able to modify the appropriate plugins
> to specify source route.  However, it doesnt seem feasible to do it for all
> the plugins.
>
> Steve

# pwd
/loony/bin