Host Checks NEVER Happen

Matthew Jurgens nagios at edcint.co.nz
Mon May 8 13:17:17 CEST 2006

I've installed a basic Nagios 2 config. I have 50 service checks working
perfectly and 12 hosts.
Even when services on a host go down host checks never seem to be executed.
I've setup network packet captures to see if pings leave the Nagios host
but they never do.

I created a host with an IP address that does not exist and one service.
This service will of course go Hard critical after a couple of checks.
It does and I get notified and Nagios still maintains that the host is UP!

Can anyone provide any hints as to why Nagios does this? What can I check?

Thanks