nagios friends/neighborhood

Bill Jacqmein wrjacqmein at gmail.com
Sat May 6 07:15:04 CEST 2006

John,

       I will agree with the previous posts that for *nix systems and
definitely large number of systems cfengine is the way to go.  Windows
requires a different whip to heel.

       I recommend two utilities - first one is WPKG (http://wpkg.org)
which allows for the managing applications through their installation
life cycle (installation-patch/upgrade-removal). The second being
Unattended(http://unattended.sourceforge.net/step-by-step.php) is for
creating OS builds for different parts of your organization.

       From the management perspective, your PC tech staff will be
freed from day to day installations but swapped into maintaining the
build server, OS install images, applications installations, and
troubleshooting the application install. The payoff for doing this is
to get an common install base no matter the turn over rate,
repeatability from the install process, a simple install procedure
(front loading the hard part of figuring out the options to
standardize on during the package creation and the packages can be
rolled out from a central place), less mistakes from junior PC techs
(or the common thought of "I think this person should have all the
games loaded because I like them" even though there is a corporate
policy (policies without enforcement turn into dust quite fast)
against loading them), and ease of adding new systems into the
environment.

      Another application which may help in the quest for an Open
source management infrastructure is
http://ocsinventory.sourceforge.net/ OCS Inventory NG which will
provide and inventory of PCs and the software loaded on them.

       This is one of those areas which hurts all IT pros: We spend
are time providing tools/services to business, we forgot to provide
tools/services to run the business of providing IT.

Hope it is useful and Enjoy,

      Bill