status.sav to rentention.dat

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed May 3 19:42:41 CEST 2006

Status.sav must by your state_retention_file. It is only used on restart
to load the last known state of hosts/services before shutdown. Removing
the file forces nagios to re-determine the state of the hosts and
services from the next check which it would normally do anyway. If you
do nothing with this file when upgrading, host and service states will
be UNDETERMINED during the interval between shutting down the old nagios
and starting up your new. I was able to accomplish that change in under
3 minutes with a little pre-planning. You could run them in tandem for a
period of time equal to your log_rotation and not even have that or even
merge the current log files.

> The exact same thing happened when  I moved
> retention.dat. I can only presume that this is where
> the historical data is kept. I need to convert the
> files so I can prove SLA's have been meet in the past
> fwe years. Any idea's ?

Why assume when you can verify? Perform this test again and actually
look at the historical data. It'll be there. Look at the contents of
status.sav even. You'll see that it only contains current information at
the time it was created.