remote passive checks

Tracy R Reed treed at ultraviolet.org
Tue May 2 02:10:39 CEST 2006

I am setting up nagios for the first time to monitor my companies
systems. I have the active checking working fine. But I am confused as
to how passive checks are best implemented. When I chose nagios I had
thought (incorrectly it seems) that nagios would come with some sort of
daemon or service that would connect or be connected to the main nagios
system to report on things like disk usage, load, swap, etc. But upon
reading: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/passivechecks.html and
many other documents and postings it seems this is not the case.

I have chosen nsca because I prefer my machines connect to my server
since some of them may be behind firewalls etc. The problem is how do I
feed the data into nsca? For some reason it seems that the output from
the checks that come with nagios (check_disk, check_load, check_swap)
are not compatible with the input for nsca. Why is this? It seems many
people have written their own wrappers for the checks to feed nsca.

I am wondering how I am going to handle configuration and management of
this wrapper to wrap all of the local checks and configure them
appropriately for the local machine. The nagios config on the server
does not apply to remote checks. So basically I have to write a custom
shell script for each server that calls all of the right checks with the
right arguments, converts their output, and passes the result into
send_nsca to the main nagios server. At that point it almost seems
cleaner to just write my own program from scratch in python which does
the local checks I am interested in and passes the result into
send_nsca. But since this is a need everyone with more than one system
to monitor must have I must be reinventing the wheel here.

I feel like I must have missed something and that there has got to be a
more elegant way to do it. Suggestions? Advice? Pillories?

--
Tracy R Reed
http://ultraviolet.org