per host custom macros

David Mansfield nagios at dm.cobite.com
Wed Mar 29 21:06:31 CEST 2006

jeff vier wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 12:55 -0500, David Mansfield wrote:
>
>> Something like:
>>
>> define host {
>> 	use generic-host
>> 	host_name myhost.mydomain.com
>> 	alias myhost
>> 	address 1.2.3.4
>>
>> 	custom_macro FOOPROPERTY=AA:BB:CC:DD
>> 	custom_macro BARVALUE=BigImportantValue
>>
>> 	hostgroups all_foo,all_bar
>> }
>>
>> With:
>>
>> define hostgroup {
>> 	name all_foo
>> 	alias all_foo
>> }
>>
>> define service {
>> 	hostgroup_name all_foo
>> 	check_command check_foo
>> }
>>
>> And finally, the payoff:
>>
>> define command {
>> 	command_name check_foo
>> 	command_line $USER1$/check_foo -f $FOOPROPERTY$
>> }
>
> You've pretty much exactly described $ARG1$, $ARG2$, ... $ARGn$

No. I'm sorry but you are missing the point. $ARG1$ blah blah are
specified in the 'service' object.

That means you HAVE to define a service object for every host/service
combination.  Yuk!  Right now you can apply a service to an entire
_hostgroup_, and the assignment/memebership to the hostgroup is set up
IN the host object.  This means that for those services, all the
information necessary is captured in the host definition, as long as
only the standard attributes (hostaddress etc) are referenced.

Why should I configure the XYZ property of my host anywhere other than
the host definition?  It doesnt' make one lick of sense from a
management perspective.

Not to mention it forces twice the management burden to have to copy
service definitions all over the place.

David