Host File Clean-Up

Pete Shelfo PShelfo at embrex.com
Mon Mar 27 14:28:32 CEST 2006

bAll my hosts definitions are setup the same way:

# 'servername' host definition

define host{

      use               generic-host            ; Name of host template
to use

      host_name         servername

      alias             servername

      address                 0.0.0.0

      parents                 switch

      check_command           check-host-alive

      max_check_attempts      10

      notification_interval   120

      notification_period     24x7

      notification_options    d,u,r

      contact_groups          sys-admins

      }

Do I need the bottom half of my definition list for each host if my
generic host definition template on the bottom of my host file already
includes that information:

max_check_attempts      10

      notification_interval   120

      notification_period     24x7

      notification_options    d,u,r

      contact_groups          sys-admins

      }

In summary can I get away with only listing:

# 'servername' host definition

define host{

      use               generic-host            ; Name of host template
to use

      host_name         servername

      alias             servername

      address                 0.0.0.0

      parents                 switch

This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.