SNMP WARNING

James Noyes jnoyes-nagios at retrogeeks.com
Thu Mar 23 09:39:48 CET 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:29:48 -0500 (EST),
"Kyle Tucker" <kylet at panix.com> wrote:
> > > Am I missing something fundamental about this command ?
> >
> > It appears that you missed the 'min:max' vs. 'max:min' thing on the ranges,
> >  but 1) that's a common oversight, and 2) it doesn't appear to be the real
> >  reason you're getting nothing but warnings.
>
> James, thanks for all this detailed explanation on check_snmp. I am
> using the plugin extensively, but I have a fundamental problem with
> it being designed to give an OK if checks for warning and critical
> ranges and are within that range. This has for me - and must for
> others - been the source of confusion and need for some brain strain.
> What do you suppose was the thinking with this approach? The man page
> says it best.
>
> -w, --warning=INTEGER_RANGE(s)
>     Range(s) which will not result in a WARNING status
>
> Why not specify the *warning* range using the *warning* option that
> *WILL* produce a *warning*? It just seems all backwards.

Well, I'm much more a user than developer (although I did finally write my
own Solaris Disksuite plugin out of frustration), and as many times as I
thought about the reason for the min:max vs. max:min behavior, I never could
come up with a plausible reason for doing it this particular way that seemed
"obvious".
About the only reasonable explanation I ever did come up with, and it's
still pretty far-fetched, was that for a majority of SNMP OIDs that can be
queried, the "OK" or "normal" condition is usually one result, while the
"error" condition has many results, giving more detail about the error.  So
I just guessed that it made more sense to specify the "OK" results, rather
than a much larger range of "not OK" results.  Like I said - far-fetched,
but it's really all I could come up with.

--
James Noyes
(jnoyes-nagios at retrogeeks.com)