2.0 stable stops checking

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Fri Mar 17 21:40:48 CET 2006

In message <441B0F3D.9080206 at ilm.com>,
Eli Stair writes:
>So you're seeing the scenario where nagios stops _all_ checks
>altogether?  I've had this happen when the nagios parent process dies,
>and logs to nagios.log to this effect "[1139362901] Caught SIGSEGV,
>shutting down... ".  I was getting these very frequently when I went
>above some apparent host/service threshhold (went away when I removed
>about 128 nodes at one point recently).  In these cases the CGI's still
>respond for some reason, which seemed inappropriate...
>
>I've also seen the same symptom, but without a well-advertised nagios
>failure, where the process is still present in memory but checks aren't
>executed and the CGI's are functional.

As long as one of the files (forget which one maybe object.dat)
exists. The cgi's don't know that nagios has died. The startup rc
script clears out the the files when it is shut down so a crash on
restart should prevent the CGI's from running but that's it.

I modified my version of the script to delete the files before it
starts the daemon so a nagios or system crash followed by a "nagios
start" (without a "nagios stop") followed by a crash will cause the
CGI commands to error out.

I tried to create some patches for the cgi's that required the
datestamp in the file to be "current", but there is no standard
interval for the file to be refreshed. It depends on the polling
intervals of services etc so I gave up on that. You can find my ideas
in the ML archives if you want.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard