where to get help with ext. cmd CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL ?

prosolutions at gmx.net prosolutions at gmx.net
Fri Mar 17 08:04:29 CET 2006

> >>  echo "[`date +%s`] CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL;tigris;DiskBackupMountCheck;3"
>
> Printf is POSIX standard, but both my command and the printf produce
> the same output. Try both and see. If you don't understand why they
> produce the same output, read the man pages and get a book on shell
> programming.

the issue isn't with the use of printf or echo, but rather the strings
which they are printing.  also, i know what shell substitution is but am
not familiar with the expression [%lu] and had no idea that was
equivalent to the output of `date +%s`.  what is confusing about your
example is that you seem to omit the trailing `date +%s` at the end of
your command, as opposed to the provided example:

now=`date +%s`
commandfile='/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd'
/bin/printf "[%lu] CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL;host1;service1;15\n" $now > $commandfile

the $now preceeding the redirection to the command file being equivalent
to the string returned by `date +%s`

this cannonical example is a bit confusing then: why does it have the
date at the beginning, i.e. the first [%lu], and then again at the end
with $now  ?  you seem to omit the second date from your command
although in your example you also don't echo a newline nor show the
redirect which that part I at least assume.

> Right. The new schedule won't take effect until the currently
> scheduled poll is run at the original scheduling interval AFAICT.  If
> you want the new interval to take affect immediately you need to force
> it with a SCHEDULE_FORCED_SVC_CHECK command.

thank you for the clarification regarding this.  but i am still not
seeing the CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL register in objects.cache.
i will continue delving into that and then eventually implement
SCHEDULE_FORCED_SVC_CHECK as per your suggestion.  thanks again for your
illuminating help!