check_if_by_snmp output

Peter Gritsch s4nag at no-where.at
Wed Mar 15 22:42:43 CET 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 14:50, Mrutyunjaya Dash wrote:
Hi all,
> Hi List,
>
> I just installed the snmp4nagios with all the required libraries.
> Now when I am trying to execute the following command, I am getting
> the output as below. But according to the document, the output
> should be something in different way. I believe there is something
> wrong. Can anyone give some idea on this?
>
> ./check_if_by_snmp -R /opt/rrdtool/ -T -L -H localhost -i 2 -I eth0
> Timeout! Peer = localhost, OID = 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.7.2

This indicates a problem with SNMP. Did you set up a default community
file? Try

snmpwalk -v 2c -c `cat $HOME/.snmp4nagios/community` \
localhost .1.3.6.1.2.1.1

This should return some information about localhost. Otherwise there
is likely a problem with either the SNMP agent at localhost or the way
communities are configured in SNMP4Nagios.

Run the plugin with (additionally) -v -v -v and check the log
(usually /var/log/messages) for the debugging messages about the
community the plugin uses.

> Whereas the output should be in this way as below
>
> OK - eth0: I: 1410937 kO, 12672117 Pkt; O: 1339265 kO, 12722878 Pkt
>
> |'estimated speed'=100000000
>
> 'input octets'=1444800491c 'input packets'=12672117c 'input
> errors'=0c 'output octets'=1371407644c 'output packets'=12722878c
> 'output errors'=0c
This is the non-default "Nagios Plugins" style. It is enabled at
runtime using the command line switch "-N". Therefor your command
should be something like

./check_if_by_snmp -R /opt/rrdtool/ -T -L -H localhost -i 2 -I eth0 -N

Hope that helps,
Peter
--
Peter Gritsch