Help with making sure a process is running on a snmp box

Randy Paries rtparies at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 09:21:11 CET 2006

Hello,
i am trying to set up nagios to verify the a process called heartbeat
is running on a remote box.

Here are some details:
remote box: RH9
my /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf has the line:
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
proc heartbeat

On my nagios box i have the entry in my services.cfg
define service{
use generic-service ; Name of service template to use

host_name springfield
service_description smnp proc check
is_volatile 0
check_period 24x7
max_check_attempts 3
normal_check_interval 5
retry_check_interval 1
contact_groups admins
notification_interval 240
notification_period 24x7
notification_options c,r
check_command check_snmp_proc!springfield
}

The error i get is

check_snmp_proc: Could not fetch list of processes

snmpwalk -v 1 -c public springfield .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.2

UCD-SNMP-MIB::prIndex.1 = INTEGER: 1
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prNames.1 = STRING: heartbeat
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prMin.1 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prMax.1 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prCount.1 = INTEGER: 4
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrorFlag.1 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrMessage.1 = STRING:
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrFix.1 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::prErrFixCmd.1 = STRING:

can someone please give me some ideas of where to look next
Thanks