ICMP - RTA?

Mike Koponick mkoponick at redhawk.info
Tue Mar 7 14:46:17 CET 2006

Hello,

I've been using check_icmp and have also used check_ping to test if a
host is available or not. It seems like a simple test but I'm running
into an interesting issue.

I see round trip times in the 500+ ms range, which causes an alert. At
first I thought we had a network issue, but when I PING directly to the
host which I'm running the check, I receive round trip times in the
1-2ms range, which is puzzling to me.

On some sensors I'm testing 40+ hosts with check_icmp, and another
sensor I'm only testing 10 hosts, I see the same issue on both sensors.
So it doesn't look like its amount of tests I'm running.

I wonder what I'm seeing is the time for the complete check to take
place for each host.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks!

Mike